Award-winning poet Pete Bearder presents the unwritten history, science, and skill of spoken word and answers some strangely under-explored questions: What is the history of performance poetry in the UK? How does emotional contagion happen in live literature? What has spoken word got to do with hypnotism and ecstatic states? This groundbreaking book explores a thriving ecology of artistry, and how it can serve us for cultural, social and political renewal.
‘a fantastic piece of work’ – Michael Rosen.
‘Refreshingly light hearted, intellectually passionate and experientially sure footed’ —Liminalities, Journal of Performance Studies
‘Stage Invasion is required reading for anyone studying or fascinated by the art’ —Oxford Brookes University Poetry Centre
Papers, Articles & Reviews:
- Bearder, P., ‘Communities of Words: Developing Voices through Spoken Word Education’, Teaching English, NATE, Issue 8 (2015), 53–56.
- Bearder, P., ‘Liberating Tongues?: A Theoretical Analysis of the Work of a full-time Embedded Spoken Word Educator in a Secondary School’, English in Education, 49/3 (2015), 233–251
- Bearder, P. ‘Poetry out of the Box: the story of one of the UK’s first full-time spoken word educators in schools.’ (Oct. 2014) https://www.nawe.co.uk/DB/current-wie-edition/articles/poetry-out-of-the-box.html
- Bearder, P. ‘Spoken Word is Dead, Long Live Poetry’ https://applesandsnakes.org/2020/05/26/spoken-word-is-dead-long-live-poetry/
- Bearder, P. ‘Small Change: Arts Funding and the Oil Industry’ http://www.freewordonline.com/content/2011/12/small-change-arts-funding-and-the-oil-industry/
- Bearder, P. ‘Art, Culture and the Sacred Space for Resistance’ https://www.freewordcentre.com/blog/2015/11/pete-the-temp-briefing-notes/
- Review: Samuel Burgum, ‘Occupying London: Post Crash Resistance and the Limits of Possibility’, https://www.theoryculturesociety.org/blog/review-samuel-burgum-occupying-london
- Review: Patrick Turner, ‘Hip Hop vs Rap: the Politics of Droppin Knowledge’, Global Hip Hop Studies,
- Review: George F. ‘Good Times in Distopia’ (Dec. 2020) https://freedomnews.org.uk/review-good-times-in-dystopia/